What to do if my parked car was damaged and I haven’t heard anything from the insurance company of the person at-fault?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my parked car was damaged and I haven’t heard anything from the insurance company of the person at-fault?

About 2 weeks ago, my parked car was backed into on the passenger side. The guy who backed into me has insurance with Allstate but it’s his stepmother’s policy. Apparently, he isn’t listed on the policy. I made the claim to their insurance company the very same day, however, I haven’t heard anything productive back from them. I have called almost everyday since the accident but they give me the run around. It’s not unreasonable to want my car fixed ASAP. What are the next steps I need to make in order to have my vehicle repaired, in a timely manner, at their expense.

Asked on September 15, 2016 under Accident Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The other person's insurer is not obligated to pay you unless and until you successfully sue and get a court order requring *their insurered* to pay--at which time, they should pay, up to the limits of the policy. Paying before there is a judgment in your favor is voluntary on their part, and they will not voluntarily pay if they think that either their insured may not be liable *or* that they may be able to escape their own obligation to pay for some reason--such as that a driver (the stepson) was not listed  as a covered driver, since an insured's failure to list those who regularly drive the car can result in a denial of coverage.
All you can do is sue the driver (the stepson) and the owner of the car (the stepmother) who, regardless of her insurance coverage, may be liable for damage caused by someone whom she allowed to driver her car. If you sue and prove that the driver was at fault--and since it is essentially negligent, or unreasonably careless, by definition to back into a parked or stationary car, based on what you write, it's difficult to see how the driver would not be at fault--you can get a court order requiring him and the person who let him use their car to pay your repair and other out-of-pocket costs resulting from the accident. (And if there is applicable insurance, at that point, the insurer may pay; but if they don't, you can seek the money directly fromt the driver and owner.)
Of course, a lawsuit--even a small claims suit, if the damage is under the small claims limit--will take months to resolve; if you want your car repaired before then, you will have to repair it yourself, then seek reimbursement of those costs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption