What can I do if my parents left me a trust fund and the woman who was in charge of it stole all the money?

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my parents left me a trust fund and the woman who was in charge of it stole all the money?

I was the sole beneficiary of my parent’s estate; I was supposed to gain control at age 23 but the money was stolen by then. The woman in charge was related to me and we were not on good terms. There was also a lawyer involved who knew she was taking the money but allowed it to go on. I found out about it 6 years ago. What action, criminal or civil, could I take (if any)?

Asked on March 2, 2012 under Estate Planning, Mississippi


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for your situation. What you are describing is a breach of fiduciary duty on the civil end theft on the criminal end.  You should seek help from an attorney as soon as you can because I am afraid that there may be a statute of limitations issue with the civil side and going after her.  And look in to the criminal side as well.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption