What can I do if my parents are getting an ex parte order to keep me from seeing my boyfriend?

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my parents are getting an ex parte order to keep me from seeing my boyfriend?

He has never physically sexually or emotionally abused or assaulted me. He is over 18 and lives in another state. I’m 17 but I’m turning 18 in less than 2 months. What does this ex parte order mean? Can I still text and call him? Isn’t this a temporary order – what happens when it expires and when will it expire? Can my parents get a restraining order against him without my permission if I’m 2 months away from turning 18? What should I do? He’s not a bad person they just don’t like him.

Asked on October 27, 2014 under Criminal Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Until you are emancipated (e.g. until you turn 18; and possibly longer, if you continue to live with them and be supported by them), your parents can control you in this way, including banning you from seeing your boyfriend. Once you are emancipated, they cannot. If you want to understand how and when you can be emancipated, and the consequences of being emancipated (e.g. no more support), speak with a family law attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption