Do I have to open an estate account in my late father’s name or do I just need to pay inheritance tax and close his accounts?

UPDATED: May 23, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 23, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to open an estate account in my late father’s name or do I just need to pay inheritance tax and close his accounts?

My now deceased father had no outstanding debts. He had a checking,a savings, a vehicle and a trailer that he lived in free and clear. All his assets are less than $10,000.

Asked on May 23, 2013 under Estate Planning, Indiana


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Then most likely you will not have to open probate. Check with your probate court on minimum requirements (usually a pamphlet will be available to you). Then, check the bank accounts to see if you were named as beneficiary or secondary account holder. If you were, you don't need to do anything else, either. But the bank may need a death certificate if you are not the beneficiary, etc. As for the vehicle and such, you will need a new title to sell, so go to the DMV and present the death certificate and your authority to change the title.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption