If my niece’s uncle died and had no other living relatives, since his neighbor is the trustee can he take everything?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my niece’s uncle died and had no other living relatives, since his neighbor is the trustee can he take everything?

They have no money for a lawyer.

Asked on October 17, 2012 under Estate Planning, Michigan


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I cannot give you a reliable legal opinion with the information you provided, but I can give you general information.

A trustee is a person who administers a trust.  A trust is different from an estate.  If the neighbor is really a trustee of a trust (which requires a written trust agreement), then he will "administer" the assets that your niece's uncle placed in the trust.  If assets were not placed in the trust, then the trustee has no authority to do anything with them.  So, placing assets in a trust is one way to distribute them after death.

There are other ways to distribute assets after death.  The most common way is to name a beneficiary.  This is frequently done for retirement accounts and life insurance.  It can also be done for bank accounts or investment accounts.  If your niece's uncle had these kind of assets, the named beneficiaries will receive the assets without a will or trust.

The last most common way to distribute assets is through an estate.  The assets would be distributed according to the terms of the will, if there is a will.  If there is no will, the assets would be distributed according to state law.  Since this man apparently had no relatives other than his niece, she would likely inherit everything if he had no will.  An executor (if he had a will) or administrator (if he had no will) or personal representative (in some states) will administer the estate.

Whether this gentleman had a trust or has an estate, the trustee/executor/ administrator/personal representative must administer his assets according to the deceased uncle's wishes or state law.  They don't get to do whatever they want.   The only way a trustee, etc., can take anything is if they are also named as a beneficiary.

I realize this is complicated, and I hope this explanation helps.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption