What to do if my niece’s husband passed away but she was not on the mortgage the month and it was sold and now they won’t talk to her?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my niece’s husband passed away but she was not on the mortgage the month and it was sold and now they won’t talk to her?

The mortgage company changed to a different company the month he passed, she called to find out who her Insurance company is and they won’t tell her. She

has damage from a hurricane. Her husband gave her authorization with the old mortgage company but the new one says that it’s void now, so she sent in his Will to them and is waiting. However, she called the old home insurance company and apparently it’s not with them anymore so she doesn’t know what to do.

Asked on October 13, 2018 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for her loss and for the situation as it stands.  Just sending the Will is not enough.  Was she appointed as the Executor of the Estate?  That would force the new mortgage company to speak with her since the Executor has the right under the law to act on behalf of the estate.  She should try and consult with an attorney.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption