If my neighbors won’t remove their building from my property, can I take them to court to get them to remove it?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my neighbors won’t remove their building from my property, can I take them to court to get them to remove it?

We didn’t know to get a survey done before purchasing our home but a few years later when we did I found out our neighbors entire building is our property. The survey matches up to the

aerial photos from the tax assessor. They refuse to remove their property and have went as far as pulling up marker stakes. What should I do?

Asked on March 27, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

d on what you write, they would meet many of the criteria for adverse possession other than, it appears, time: you are correct in that it takes 20 years in your state. Until someone successfully gets property via adverse possession, the owner can re-assert possession and remove them. You have to file a lawsuit: in the suit, you should simultaneously seek a declaratory judgment, or court determination, fixing or setting the boundaries; an order that they remove the structure and pay any costs to remediate your property (i.e. they can't leave damage behind); and if you incurred other monetary costs, you can try to get compesation for those, too. This kind of suit can be complicated; you are advised to retain an attorney to help you, rather than doing this "pro se" (as your own attorney). Since you're not sure of exactly when this structure was built, file the case as soon as you can, before more time passes.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption