My neighbors damaged my ceiling and carpet when their toilet overflowed they are they responsible

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My neighbors damaged my ceiling and carpet when their toilet overflowed they are they responsible

Hi we live in Kentucky and I know based on the state some people are able to sue for the deductible or put a lien on a home. Am I able to do this, the deductible for 1000 they paid 100 and that was it. They didn’t have homeowners insurance at the time so my insurance had to pay.

Asked on December 30, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

They are responsible if they were at fault: that is, they caused the overflow by being negligent or unreasonably careless, such as by trying to flush something down the toilet which should not be flushed, and that is why it overflowed. In that instance, you could sue them (such as in small claims court) for the balance of your deductible. But if they were not fault--they did nothing wrong to cause the overflow--they are not liable; liability, or responsibility to pay, is based on the existence of fault.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption