Whatcan a tenantdo about a noisy neighbor?

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Whatcan a tenantdo about a noisy neighbor?

I live on first floor apartment. My neighbor is walking heavily and I can hear the ceiling squeak. I went there to talk with him but he is not opening the door any more because I send a letter to our landlord. What can I do? I don’t feel moving in the middle of the winter and I can’t stand the noise any more. My landlord is not doing anything to help me.

Asked on December 14, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

In every lease, there is a covenant of quiet enjoyment which means that the tenant cannot be disturbed in his/her use or enjoyment of the premises. Although you could file a lawsuit against the landlord for breach of the covenant of quiet enjoyment, it is unlikely that you would prevail because unfortunately some noise such as a person walking heavily upstairs or the ceiling/floor squeaking are items that occur in the normal course of living in an apartment building and just have to be tolerated.  You might want to try turning on a fan which can drown out noise.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption