Can a beneficiary get their inheritance early?

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a beneficiary get their inheritance early?

My nana had passed 2 years ago; I was 17 at the time. I am now 19 and have a child that I need to take care of. She left inheritance money for me but set an age limit of 25. Is there anyway I could get the money sooner?

Asked on October 6, 2013 under Estate Planning, Arizona


Gregory Abbott / Consumer Law Northwest

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The only way to tell definitively is for you to consult with a local attorney but nothing you have said here would give you any grounds to collect early.  If she did not want you to have the money until you are 25 the court will not normally change that.  If she had wanted you to be able to get it earlier if there were special circumstances or conditions, she could have said so - and apparently she did not. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption