If my name was falsely used in a recent book without my permission, is there anything that I can do?

UPDATED: Feb 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my name was falsely used in a recent book without my permission, is there anything that I can do?

I was falsely quoted without my approval. My name is within this book and my job and what I was doing. I was never asked permission to use my name and would like to know legally if there is anything I can do about it?

Asked on February 21, 2012 under Business Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If there is a supposed quote by you in a book done without your permission, I suggest that you consult with a business attorney concerning your legal recourse if any. If you are a public figure, there probably is very little that you can do about the book.

If the references to you are true in the book, there probably is not much you can do as well about it. As to the alleged false quotes, you might be able to bring an action for an injunction to stop the sale of the book. The problem I have answering your question is that it is not very detailed as to what the specific problem is.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption