My Name is Trang. I would like to get some quick answers/advices regarding family law

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My Name is Trang. I would like to get some quick answers/advices regarding family law

in the form FL-100 (California form), what should I put down for separate/community assets/debts? Do I put down what I want or by law? We keep our own money in shared and separate accounts, so does the separate account info go to the separate section (mutually agreed between us) or has to be community section (by law)?

Asked on June 8, 2009 under Family Law, California


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

California is a community property state, so there is community property and separate property.  Community property is that which is acquired during the marriage, or before the marriage and comingled with community property so as to be indistinguishable.  Separate property is that which is acquired before the marriage, or by inheritance or as a result of a personal injury award in a lawsuit.  Put down on the form the accurate figure for each.  Debts are the same--there are separate debts and community debts.  Be as accurate as possible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption