What to do if an executor engages in self-dealing when administering an estate?

UPDATED: Mar 3, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 3, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if an executor engages in self-dealing when administering an estate?

My mom died 5 years ago and my brother was named executor in her Will. He decided he wants the Trust property, so he has been living there for the past 2 years. He does not pay rent and I have to ask him for money when things get tight, which I have to pay back out of my inheritance whenever he gets around to buying me out. He is offering to buy me out at half the 5 year old appraisal price of $280,000, however I am holding out for half of current market value which is $425,000. Can he be sued for breach of trust since he controls all the money and the property? My family has endured unnecessary financial hardship because he refuses to perform any of the executor duties he is charged with. Is he guilty of criminal charges as well?

Asked on March 3, 2015 under Estate Planning, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes, an executor who breaches his fiduciary duty (the duty he owes to the real parties or interest or beneficiaries, like the other heirs) by engaging in self dealing could be removed as executor by the court and also sued for any amounts he has improperly taken. This would be a lawsuit filed by one (or more) of the heirs in surrorgate or chancery court. It is more complicated than filing the typical lawsuit for, say, breach of contract, so you are advised to retain an attorney who handles trusts and estates or probate work to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption