Can my ex-landlord charge me additional money for pet damage when I already paid a $300 dollar pet fee when moved in?

UPDATED: Apr 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my ex-landlord charge me additional money for pet damage when I already paid a $300 dollar pet fee when moved in?

They provided no damage pictures even though I requested them. I sent a certified dispute letter within the 30 days and they refused it. The apartment was in good shape when I left. I cleaned the carpets and the place was spotless. How do I go about taking them to court and do I have a case?

Asked on April 16, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is entirely possible for your former landlord to charge you additional money for pet damage when you have already paid the $300 pet fee when you moved in. If you want the return of your secuirty deposit where your former landlord has failed to provide you with receipts and documentation showing the basis for the retention of your $300 pet security deposit within the staututory time, your option would be to file a small claims court for the return of your money.

Your former landlord bears the burden of demonstrating his or her entitlement to the retention of the $300 secuirty deposit for pet damage by photographs, cleaning receipts, witnesses and the like. From what you have written, you seem to have a good chance of prevailing in small claims court. However, I am not the judge who will be hearing the case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption