If my mother’s money is deposited in both our names, is her money safe from garnishment if a creditor tries to collect a debt from me?

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my mother’s money is deposited in both our names, is her money safe from garnishment if a creditor tries to collect a debt from me?

My mother is 92 years old and unable to handle her financial affairs. We want to protect her money from being garnished in the event that I am sued for credit card debt. We are having financial problems at this time.

Asked on March 2, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No, unfortunately, this would not protect her money. A creditor can reach a debtor's portion of money, even if it is in a shared or joint bank account. Moreover, it puts *your* money at risk, since you might then have to prove what share of the money was yours and not hers--i.e. the creditor might try to take more than, strickly speaking, was your mother's.

Putting it solely in your name wouldn't help either--if a creditor can show that the money is really hers, they could still reach it; and you would also be setting yourself up for additional liability, for attempting to defraud a creditor.

Consider: if it was this easy to keep money away from creditors, eveyone would do it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption