If my mother recently passed away and we share bank accounts, do I have to list the shared accounts on the probate paperwork?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my mother recently passed away and we share bank accounts, do I have to list the shared accounts on the probate paperwork?

I have 3 siblings and my mom did not have a Will. She and I have a shared bank account checking, saving, money market savings and IRA account that I am the beneficiary. What do I have to list for my mom

s assets of than the house?

Asked on November 24, 2017 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  If you and your Mother held accounts that you inherited automatically at the time of her death then no, they are not listed on the estate as hers for probate.  If, however, you held those accounts to be able to pay Mom's bills and manage her affairs and she entrusted them to you for only this reason and did not intend to leave them to you, there are more important questions for you to be dealing with when it comes to splitting estate proceeds with your siblings.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption