Is it possible to get a copyright on a deceased family member’s work?

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it possible to get a copyright on a deceased family member’s work?

My mother recently passed away and I am interested in getting a copyright on her artwork. I am her Power of Attorney.

Asked on March 8, 2015 under Business Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  First understand that the Power of Attorney is no longer valid.  It dies with the person for whom it is encated.  In order to have an rights to deal with your Mother's estate you would need to be appointed as the Executor (if there is a Will) or Administrator (if she died intestate - without a Will).  And yes, as an heir of your Mother you have the right to apply for a copyright.  This may, though, be in the context of probate. Good luck.o

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption