If my mother recently died and I was on her bank account with her, can my siblings sue me to get her money?

UPDATED: May 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my mother recently died and I was on her bank account with her, can my siblings sue me to get her money?

My grandmother legally adopted me when I was born from my mother (her daughter). My mom/grandmother and I had a joint bank account (it is now individual since she has passed away last month). My aunts/uncles (her children) are threatening to sue me for her money. She had no Will, etc. Amount she had was 35K. With burial expenses and bills it is now 19K. Are they able to sue me even though it was joint with rights of survivorship? What do I do?

Asked on May 4, 2012 under Estate Planning, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the troubles that have arisen as a result.  It sounds as if you and your "mom" were very close and that you took care of her when she needed help.  If the funds are in a joint account with rights of survivorship then they passed to you upon her death and they are yours alone.  I am sorry that your family is doing this.  Anyone can sue but they should not succeed should they try.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption