What to do about a lawsuit settlement received after a person dies?

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a lawsuit settlement received after a person dies?

My mother passed in 2005. We just received a check in her name for money owed to her through a medical litigation. Are we entitled to keep it?

Asked on December 28, 2010 under Estate Planning, Arkansas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Well, yes, you may beentitled to keep the proceeds but they must go through probate.  Did you have a probate proceeding for your Mother?  In other words did you file a proceeding and was there a Personal Representative appointed for her estate?  You would then have to re-open the estate in order to process the check through it.  If your Mother had a Last Will and Testament then these proceeds would most likely be covered by the residuary clause: "the rest, residue and remainder of the estate is distributed as follows:" or something along those lines.  The check may also have to be re-issued to The Estate of your Mother.  Seek help with all of this.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption