What to do if my mother passed away 2 years ago and we are currently trying to sell her house but she owed the IRS money?

UPDATED: Oct 17, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 17, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my mother passed away 2 years ago and we are currently trying to sell her house but she owed the IRS money?

She owed the IRS $2100; they recently sent a notice threating to levy seize her property. Can I negotiate a lesser amount in order to afford to pay the debt? If not will they seize her property or just put a property lien on it?

Asked on October 17, 2013 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  The IRS has great power to place a lien and force a sale of property to pay that lien.  You have a great idea, though, about calling to negotiate the line.  If you are the Personal Representative of the estate you have that power.  So do indeed try.  The IRS is a priority debt that must be paid from the estate.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption