What to do about an amendment to a Trust?

UPDATED: Oct 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 15, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about an amendment to a Trust?

My mother passed away about 6 months ago. She had a trust drawn up 12 years ago, with an amendment drafted last year. Mom was diagnosed with demetia mild to moderate 3 years ago at age 81. The amendment was for 1 of the beneficiaries $30,000 owed to mom for an addition she put on her house for mom but mom only lived in addition for about 6 weeks. Mom went back to live at her own home for the remainder of her life with another daughter. Does the daughter that put addition on her home for mom have any grounds to disregard this amendment to the trust? I am co-executor and seems to be some talk of letting the courts handle this issue. The little bit of money left would get eaten up in no time with attorney fees. Mom was never deemed incompetent.

Asked on October 15, 2012 under Estate Planning, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggets that you consult with a Wills and trust attorney with respect to the $30,000 amendment to the trust with respect to the $30,000 and your suspicion such may have been given under duress and undue influence. The key is to ascertain if an attorney drafted the document and if not, then there is a greater case for undue influence and for the trustee to not honor the provision.

Remember the trustee of the trust can take the position to not honor the amendment based upon advice of counsel. If so, then the beneficiary if she wants the money will be forced to take action, not you. Your defense would be that her medical doctor would possibly be of the opinion that your mother did not have the mental capacity to have made the gift in the amendment when it was done.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption