my mother passed away how do I get a copy of her will I live in another state?

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

my mother passed away how do I get a copy of her will I live in another state?

My mother passed away. My brothers and sisters cannot find anything in my mom
house because she was a hoarder. Where do I find out if she had a will and or
life insurance. She never share information with any of us.

Asked on September 4, 2019 under Estate Planning, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Wills are not filed until the person passes away, because they do not take effect until death, and can be readily revoked, revised, or replaced until then. And there is no central index or repository for life insurance policies--that is, each insurer keeps its own separate records. All you can od is go carefully through all her belongings and paperwork; look in particular at any bank statements you find, since payments to insurance companies may lead you to policies; contact her attorney(s) and accountant(s), if she had any--they may have information; look in any security deposit box; talk to any trusted friends, whom she may have told something to or given a copy of paperwork for safekeeping. There is nothing to do beyond those things.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption