What to do if my mother passed away and understandably did not leave a Will because I am her only child?

UPDATED: Jul 28, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 28, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my mother passed away and understandably did not leave a Will because I am her only child?

I have no siblings or existing relatives (including my father who is deceased). She had passed away from cancer.

Asked on July 28, 2013 under Estate Planning, California


Nathan Wagner / Law Office of Nathan Wagner

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

As her only child, you would be her only heir and should inherit her entire estate (I am assuming she was not married at the time of her death). You should make a list of all of her assets and debts. Then, you should talk with a probate lawyer about how these assets can be transferred to you, her heir. Depending on what your mother owned and how she owned it, you may not have to put her estate through probate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption