What can be done about a trespassing neighbor?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be done about a trespassing neighbor?

My mother owns land but has been living away in a different state. While she has been away, a man living on the next parcel of land has been selling her hay and has been keeping all the money, the amount of $1000 per year for the last 19 years a lot of money for a women in her 80’s. This same man has cut a trench across my mother’s land without any permission rendering that part of the land useless. Can that man be taken to court over these obvious illegal activities and can my mom expect to recoup the income loss that man has been taking from her?

Asked on October 19, 2015 under Real Estate Law, New Mexico


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes, he can be sued, and your mother can potentially recover the cost to repair the land e.g. restore the trench and to recover several years of the value of the hay. The problem is, you can only sue for losses which occured within the statute of limitations, or time period within which you must sue. If you wait too long to sue for a loss, the law does not let you sue for or recover it. It appears that the relevant statute of limitations in your state is no more than four years, so your mother can most likely only recover four years worth of lost hay. Another problem is that the cost of a laywer would eat substantially into what your mother might recover or get back, so in theory, the best way to sue would be for your mother to act as her own attorney "pro se" in small claims court--but doing so may not be very practical for an 80+ year old woman. Note the law will not let you represent or sue for your mother unless you are an attorney yourself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption