What are my rights if my mother owned property in Mexico and passed away without a Mexican Will?

UPDATED: Jul 31, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 31, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if my mother owned property in Mexico and passed away without a Mexican Will?

I believe that in Mexico when this happens it means proceeds must be shared equally among my father and siblings. My father sold the property, the money was transferred directly into his US bank account of which I was joint tenant with rights of survivorship. Now my father has passed away and my siblings are demanding that I share those monies with them. Does this fall out of the Supreme Court jurisdiction?

Asked on July 31, 2013 under Estate Planning, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written, I suggest two things. That you consult with an attorney in the locality in the United States (county and state) about probating your mother's estate and looking into whether a probate order in the United States would be entitled to full faith and credit in Mexico. If not, you will need to retain a Mexican attorney in the locality where your mother's Mexican property is located to resolve the title issues and probate of your mother as to such property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption