How can someone determine how to legally Will their estate?

UPDATED: Dec 9, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 9, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can someone determine how to legally Will their estate?

My mother names her grandchildren in her Will if the parent is not surviving. However, she would like to leave her home only to her surviving children with the parent’s share not going to the grandchildren unless the house is sold. Then they would receive the monetary share of their parent to be divided between them. Can she require that only the surviving children own the house and decide when and if it should be sold?

Asked on December 9, 2013 under Estate Planning, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country your mother can dictate how she wished how her assets are to be dispersed upon her death. However, it is best that she consult with a competent Wills and trust attorney in her locality to do what you have written above and have it drafted in a proper Will. Such an attorney can be found on

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption