What to do if my mother left her house to me but the ececutor is not cooperating regarding ownership matters?

UPDATED: Apr 5, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 5, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my mother left her house to me but the ececutor is not cooperating regarding ownership matters?

My mother died 7 years ago. I currently am not living in the house but plan on moving back in later this summer. My sister, who is executor of the Will, has never distributed any items from the home and now suddenly wants to sell the house. In the Will, I cannot sell the house unless my brother and sister give permission and receive 1/3 of the money from the sale. My sister has says she has contacted a realtor to sell the home, which I have not given her permission to do, and is demanding a key to the home to basically ransack it. The home contains many of my possessions, which include items my mother left with the home. She had a very specific list of items to be distributed to the family.

Asked on April 5, 2013 under Estate Planning, Kentucky


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You need the assistance of probate litigation counsel to sort out this matter, file a petition into probate to manage this estate of your mother, have yourself appointed administrator of the estate to prevent waste and mismangement, convert all to cash and distribute to all beneficiaries.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption