What to do if my mother is talking about pressing charges for jewlery theft from 2 years ago?

UPDATED: Feb 6, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 6, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my mother is talking about pressing charges for jewlery theft from 2 years ago?

I moved in for about a year last year and all was forgiven. Can shenow do anything or not?

Asked on February 6, 2014 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


Richard Southard / Law Office of Richard Southard

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It depends on the value of the jewelry.  The Statute of Limitations on when a misdemeanor theft crime can be brought is two years.  If the value of the property is over $1000 then it raises the charge to a felony (Grand Larceny) and the Statute of Limitations is 5 years.  Depending on the facts, she may still file a criminal complaint with the police; however, no attorney can answer whether or not the police will pursue it since so much time has passed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption