My mother is in jail for a DWI with a child and resisting arrest, do we get a bailsbond or hire an attorney and do a PR Bond?

UPDATED: May 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My mother is in jail for a DWI with a child and resisting arrest, do we get a bailsbond or hire an attorney and do a PR Bond?

We can pay the bails bond but we still need an attorney so do you recommend just hiring a DUI or criminal law attorney and getting a PR bond? Also, will she qualify for a PR bond? This is her first offense; her record was clean before. In Cameron County, TX.

Asked on May 28, 2011 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In my opinion, when having to choose between getting an attorney or paying a bond, the better choice, in the long run, is hiring an attorney.  If its an either/or situation, paying the bond might be better in the short run, but will probably lead to a less favorable resolution of the charges, which will lead to more time in the long run.  On the other hand, if you hire an attorney the attorney will be able to argue for a lower bond (or a promise to appear) and then give her the best opportunity to obtain the most favorable resolution of the charges that leads to the least amount of incarceration.  Furthermore, in the worst case scenario, the time that she is incarcerated on bond will be attributed to the time that she receives pursuant to a sentence -- in other words, even if she is found guilty with an attorney, but the time the case is resolved she will likely be released for time served.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption