How much does it cost to have a simple Will drawn up?

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How much does it cost to have a simple Will drawn up?

My mother-in-law wants to prepare a Will leaving her son the majority of her assets and her daughter the house.

Asked on April 10, 2015 under Estate Planning, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Attorneys vary in the costs they charge, but in my experience (and based on my own billing in NJ), from $300 - $500 is common. Your mother-in-law might, at the same time, want to get several other useful documents drafted and executed, such as an advanced health care directive ("living will")--i.e. what medical care she'd like, if she's not able to direct it herself; a health care proxy (who can made medical decisons for her, subject to her instructions, if necessary); and a power of attorney (who can make financial decisions or access accounts if she is incapacitated). These are often done at the same time as a will.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption