If my mother-in-law slipped on a wet spot on a restaurant floor, who pays the medical bills?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my mother-in-law slipped on a wet spot on a restaurant floor, who pays the medical bills?

She was rushed to the hospital by ambulance. She had 3 staples put in her head and had a full body cat

scan. The restaurant wants her to use her insurance and they will pay the difference. Is this the correct protocol? She just want the bills paid.

Asked on July 5, 2017 under Personal Injury, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Her own insurance will pay the bills unless the restaurant volunteers (in writing) to pay them for her--and even if they do, your mother (and her insurer) are liable if the restaurant failed to honor its obligations, since the person getting treatment is ultimately responsible for the medical bills. She and/or her insurance should pay; if the restaurant does not then reimburse her for any out-of-pocket amounts she has to pay, she  could sue them for the money. (So pay first; get reimbursed later.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption