If my late mother-in-law left a life state in her home to my husband, is there any way that he can get full ownership of it?

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my late mother-in-law left a life state in her home to my husband, is there any way that he can get full ownership of it?

On his death, the home and land is to then be divided among the surviving family, However, he is the only one to ever live at this home and we still do. We have paid all insurance and taxes for the past 7 years. We have also paid for over $30,000 in repairs, plumbing electrical and structural. Do we have any grounds to claim ownership free and clear for this property and homeplace?

Asked on January 15, 2014 under Estate Planning, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

No,  unfortunately living at a property, paying taxes or insurance or maintenace/repairs on it, etc., do not give you any ownership rights to that property--especially when a life estate is involved, since it's common for the person with the estate to pay varioius carrying costs of the property. If your husband was given  a life estate, that is all he is entitled to. If it is, even including what you pay, a bargain or good deal to live there, then enjoy the benefit of doing so; if it's not actually a good deal, then you could move out--you're not forced to live there.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption