If my brother is the executor of my late mother’s Will but won’t show me a copy, is it legal for him to withhold it?

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my brother is the executor of my late mother’s Will but won’t show me a copy, is it legal for him to withhold it?

My mother dies about 3 weeks ago.

Asked on September 18, 2014 under Estate Planning, Massachusetts


Jeremy Howe / Law Offices of Jeremy W. Howe, Ltd.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It's not so much a question of whether it's legal or illegal, but what your brother ought to be doing.  If your mom passed away 3 weeks ago, he should probably at least have given you a heads up as to what action he is taking as Executor, assuming you are part of the Will.  He hasn't necessarily done anything wrong, but it's not exactly the picture of transparency. 

Give our office a call if you want to discuss.  We handle Massachusetts matters as well.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption