What happens when a co-owner dies if the property is titled as joint tenants with rights of survivorship?

UPDATED: Mar 1, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 1, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens when a co-owner dies if the property is titled as joint tenants with rights of survivorship?

My mother and her sister (my aunt) inherited property when their father (my grandfather) passed away. The deed is still in my grandfather’s name with JTWROS. What happens to the land when my mother and/or my aunt pass? Does it automatically transfer to the sole remaining heir?

Asked on March 1, 2013 under Real Estate Law, New Hampshire


Elena Eckert

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your mother and your aunt hold a title to the property as joint tenants with the right of survivorship, then upon the death of one of the joint tenants the surviving joint tenant will own the property as a whole without the need to probate (property held in joint tenancy passes outside the probate estate).  However, either of the joint tenants is free to give her interest in the property away during lifetime either by gift, devise, bequest (through a will), and in this case upon her death her interest will pass according to the terms of the will.  


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption