My mother and her ex boyfriend are joint tenants with right to survivorship on a house in Tamarac, Florida. They are both on the deed and mortgage

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My mother and her ex boyfriend are joint tenants with right to survivorship on a house in Tamarac, Florida. They are both on the deed and mortgage

1-Can she legally change the locks without giving him a key? 2-Can she legally change the alarm code without giving him the new one? 3-Can his family come over unannounced and enter the home when she is home or not without her consent even if he gave his? 4-If she can to the above WHERE can I find this in black and white, in a specific law or statute so I can copy this for her(which she will most definitely need to show this to them)

Asked on June 8, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

1. No.  He is an owner of the home -- so nope. It would be tantamount to conversion and he can get the police involved. Now, is he beating her -- then yes if she has a restraining order.

2. See my answer to #1 above.

3. It depends -- that is a family matter -- if she feels uncomfortale, she can address her concerns and not allow them in.

4. Uhh, it is called joint ownership:

Also see the following:

Florida common law concerning conversion.

Sounds to me like it is time to address these two not getting along and possibly jumping the gun by not being married and owning a property together the way they did: i.e., how long have they known each other? Is this a recent issue or have they owned the property and been together for quite a while?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption