What to do if my mortgage company is saying I owe them an additional $300 a month for a mistake they made on my escrow?

UPDATED: Feb 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my mortgage company is saying I owe them an additional $300 a month for a mistake they made on my escrow?

My mortgage company messed up on my escrow account and now say I have to pay them in full the shortage amount or my mortgage will go up by a ridiculous amount. They admit they made a mistake on my account when they took over. I asked them if I could submit to them their previous refund check they sent me and they said it would not affect anything. Is this possible?

Asked on February 29, 2012 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The best way to resolve the dispute that you are writing about is to have the lender for your mortgage to send to you a letter setting forth in detail the basis for the mistake and then you provide the letter to a real estate attorney to assist you as well as a copy of the entire escrow file for review.

The problem that I see is that if there is a problem on the monthly amount as to the $300, the lender signed escrow instructions to the contrary. If there is a problem, then possibly the escrow company should be responsible for rectifying the problem that you are writing about, not you. From what you have written, I would not sign anything new with the lender before you consult with a real estate attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption