My mom passed away in July of this year how can I go about seeing or getting a copy of her will

UPDATED: Oct 5, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 5, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My mom passed away in July of this year how can I go about seeing or getting a copy of her will

Is there a place in the court house
where I can see or get a copy of my
mons will?

Asked on October 5, 2016 under Estate Planning, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you were named in her Will you should be notified of this. If not, you may not be listed as a beneficiary; parents can disinherit their children. Also, as an "interested party", that is someone who would inherit if there was no Will (as a child you would be your mother's "heir"), you also have a right to see a copy of it. That having been said, if her Will has already been entered into probate, then it is now a matter of public record which means that any one can get a copy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption