Can a land contract negate a living Trust?

UPDATED: Apr 1, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 1, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a land contract negate a living Trust?

My mom left a living Trust listing 100% (land, house, contents) to my sister, dated 6 years ago. Then, 3 years later, my mom sold her property on land contract. Now she has just passed away and there is question if the land contract negates the prior living Trust, leaving all contents of the house to the buyer of the property. The contents of the house are not mentioned anywhere in the land contract.

Asked on April 1, 2014 under Estate Planning, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The land contract gave the parcel to the person who is is contract for it but the terms of the living trust control as to your mother's assets. I suggest that you consult with a Wills and trust attorney in your locality to assist you on the matter. One can be found on

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption