If my mom is going to need to move into a nursing home soon and she owns her house, can she deed it to a family member?

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my mom is going to need to move into a nursing home soon and she owns her house, can she deed it to a family member?

I heard she has to do that 5 years prior to going into assisted living. Any suggestions?

Asked on July 19, 2011 under Estate Planning, West Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  I would strongly suggest that you seek consultation from someone in your area to discuss the matter in depth.  It is true that assets like houses transferred within certain time frames prior to entering in to a nursing home are looked at with a fine tooth comb and that those transactions can indeed be set aside. I would not, however, give up hope that something could not be done in your favor here.  It is just that there are a lot of factors that need to be looked at and this forum does not allow that.  Get help from someone that can give you advice.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption