What are the tax consequences if my mom died last year with a revokable trust?

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are the tax consequences if my mom died last year with a revokable trust?

My 2 brothers. were listed as trustees after her death and the 3 of us are equal beneficiaries for the cash assets. The trust’s accountant sent each of us a IRS K-1 form to pay the taxes, since it’d be less than if the trust paid them. My share is under a million, so I thought as a beneficiry I wouldn’t owe tax on the lump sum. Do I owe taxes.

Asked on March 20, 2013 under Estate Planning, Arkansas


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You definitely need to obtain assistance of an account who specializes in tax re estates/trusts to protect yourself from a future tax bill and penalties if any.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption