If my mom died 3 weeks ago, how can I claim what’s in her safe deposit box?

UPDATED: Nov 1, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 1, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my mom died 3 weeks ago, how can I claim what’s in her safe deposit box?

She had a safe deposit box at the bank but she had no Will. My dad is still living but they weren’t legally married.

Asked on November 1, 2015 under Estate Planning, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Generally....If your mom did not have a will and the heirs cannot agree on how to proceed, then you would need to seek a probate of the estate.  You can also retain a probate attorney to see if the heirs would be willing to participate in a mediation-- which could potentially be cheaper and quicker than a formal probate.  Probate tends to be a bit pricy-- so many people use affidavits of heirships in Texas-- but these only work when everyone is in agreement. 
The main issue you will have is who will be considered an "heir."  Your simplings are certainly heirs because they are her children.  Your dad is a different issue.  If he is deemed a common law husband, then he would potentially be an heir entitled to a portion of the estate.  If your dad was just a live-in boyfriend or fiance, then he would not be an heir.  Common marriages require three components:  an agreement to be married, a holding out (telling other people they were married), and cohabitation.  Texas law requires all three.  Just because they lived together did not automatically convert them to man and wife. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption