What to do if my minor child was awarded a settlement from a pharmaceutical lawsuit filed by my ex-spouse?

UPDATED: Mar 18, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 18, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my minor child was awarded a settlement from a pharmaceutical lawsuit filed by my ex-spouse?

We were divorced at the time of the filing but we have joint legal custody.My ex failed to include me in the suit. I have sought and gained access to settlement statements and court order.There remains a sealed exhibit that further details the suit such as whether the parents received damages.My ex refuses to give me details of that document. I have made 2 attempts to contact the firm that represented my son and his mother and they have failed to respond. The firm is from the state where the suit was filed but the settlement hearing was in Ithe state where my son, his mother and I reside. What are my options?

Asked on March 18, 2013 under Personal Injury, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you did not bring the lawsuit on behalf of your minor child and there is no court order in place from the settlement allowing you information about it, you essentially have no legal standing to find out anything about the settlement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption