If my maiden name is used on my husband’s power of attorney andI want to legally change my last name to his, would doing so invalidate it?

UPDATED: Oct 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my maiden name is used on my husband’s power of attorney andI want to legally change my last name to his, would doing so invalidate it?

I’m listed as the attorney-in-fact on my husband’s general power of attorney, however it uses my maiden name. It was obtained a few days before we were married as he deployed shortly after. I would like to legally change my last name to his (Social Security, driver’s license, etc.) but would this cause the current power of attorney to become invalid since my last name on the notarized document would no longer match my updated identification? Could I provide financial institutions a certified copy of our marriage license (indicating my maiden name) as a means of proof for the power of attorney?

Asked on October 9, 2011 under Estate Planning, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

1) Legally, the change from maiden name to married name does not invalidate any contracts, wills, trusts, powers of attorney, etc. which either you have created or which name you.

2) Practically, it would be a good idea to do as you suggest and be prepared to provide a copy of your marriage license as proof of your identity. It's not necessary to do it ahead of time--especially since there's a good chance whatever documentation you provide will be misfiled or lost before you need to reference it.

3) Why not have your husband execute a new POA, which uses your married name? That would be  a simple way to keep everything consistent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption