If my live-in boyfriend of5 years has left everything his house and life insurance to his daughter, what are my rigths?

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my live-in boyfriend of5 years has left everything his house and life insurance to his daughter, what are my rigths?

I don’t own a home on my own. Would I have any recourse or should I ask him to put me on his life insurance? He said I could always sue as a domestic partner.

Asked on December 15, 2011 under Estate Planning, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Definitely have him put you on his life insurance, and/or on the title to the home, and/or change his will to include you, etc. You do not indicate what state you are writing from, but most states do not protect unmarried opposite sex domestic partners--do no rely on this. (Also, 1) no lawsuit is ever certain; and 2) even if you won, it would take you time--possibly years--and cost you money.)

The simple truth is, an unmarried opposite sex domesatic partner has very few rights, unless the partner specifically provides for them--as with a will. (And unmarried same sex domestic partners only  have rights in those states that provide rights and if the partners register properly.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption