My last employer refuses to pay me my last two weeks of pay.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My last employer refuses to pay me my last two weeks of pay.

I quit working for Statewide Auto Transport on October 28, 2016. As of my last
day 10/28/16 I was owed four 4 weeks, 21.75, 11.00, 34.25 and 33.5 hours
pay. On my last day I provided Statewide with four 4 self addressed and
stamped envelopes for Statewide to mail my checks. After two 2 weeks I received
the checks for two 2 weeks 21.75 11.00 hours. I have tried several times to
get the last two 2 weeks checks but the owner refuses to send them, or give
them to me when I met with him at his request. Who do I report him to, or how do
I get help getting paid?

Asked on January 5, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the employer in small claims court for breach of contract / account stated.
Although you may not have a formal contract, you have an implied contract that you will do the work in return for payment.
Therefore, the employer is in breach of contract for failure to pay you.
Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the amount you are owed.  Upon prevailing in the case, you can also recover court costs  which include the court filing fee and process server fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption