What do I do if my landlord won’t make repairs?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do if my landlord won’t make repairs?

She won’t fix anything in the apartment and it has been 7 months since we moved in. We have holes in the walls and no screens in our windows. Also, I’m pregnant and she avoids me when I ask about de-leading the place. Additionally, our shower clogs up all the time, our toilet barely ever flushes, the electricity keeps blowing our TV’s, and we have mice. Due to the mice situation we got a cat. Her daughter said we broke our lease by getting a cat but technically did we ever really have a lease when our landlord never signed it? Her daughter forged her mom’s name.

Asked on March 23, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Speak with a landlord tenant attorney. There is something called the "implied warranty of habitability," which is the requirement that rental premises be fit for their intended purpose--for example, that they be fit for residence. Significant maintenance or health issues, like bad electical wiring, constant plumbling problems, rodent infestations, and holes in walls, can violate this warranty. When the warranty is violated, there are several options available to tenants, depending on the exact situation and tenant wishes:

1) monetary compensation for the time spent living with the issues;

2) a court order requiring repairs;

3) the ability for the tenant to make the repairs, then deduct the cost thereof from rent; and/or

4) terminating the lease without penalty.

You most likly have rights and recourse in this situation; you should discuss the matter with an attorney, so see exactly what your best options are.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption