What to do if my landlord lied to me that she subletted my apartment and that she would send me back my last months rent?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my landlord lied to me that she subletted my apartment and that she would send me back my last months rent?

Now it has been 3 months and she still hasn’t and now claims that she never rented it and that I am still responsible. My lease ended 5 weeks ago and she is still holding onto it claiming I am responsible until she fills the room, even though it has ended. She kept saying my spot was filled and that I was fine and she was sending me my money, now it never was, she lies, and is keeping it. What should I do? Am i entitled to that money?

Asked on October 2, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your landlord was not able to sublet your rental (despite lying about it) where you have time remaining on the lease, then under the laws of all states in this country you are seemingly responsible for the balance of the lease that you contracted for. If you want to flush out the situation you might want to file a small claims action against her. However, from what you have written, the chances of success does not seem good.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption