If my landlord is using my electrical outlet for his own use, what legal action can I take?

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my landlord is using my electrical outlet for his own use, what legal action can I take?

On a number of occasions, my electric bill has been bigger than I would have expected. I asked my landlord if I was paying any of the electric for the basement. He said no. I just discovered his washing machine plugged into my outlet. After testing the fuses, I also found out all the lights in the basement and 1 outlet are on my meter. My landlord has had a dehumidifier plugged in, plus a freexer, and uses power tools plugged into the above-mentioned outlet. I am considering just not paying him rent for a month or 2 to recoup the money that I spent over last nearly 2 years.

Asked on August 30, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

1) Do NOT simply not pay your landlord--if you do so, you will be in breach of your lease, and could be sued and/or evicted.

2) However, the landlord has no right to charge you for his electricity (unless, that is, the lease says he can--e.g. you agreed to pay all electrical charges, including landlord's). You should speak with an attorney, because you may be able to sue the landlord to recoup the additional charges. You'd need to provide evidence of the power theft, as well as evidence of what your bills or charges should have been in the absence of the theft of electricity from you. It could be a large amount, and would be worthwhile speaking with a lawyer about. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption