Can my landlord kick me out because of my boyfriend’s past?

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my landlord kick me out because of my boyfriend’s past?

My boyfriend is in jail and he’s getting out soon. He is getting paroled to his grandmother’s house and can’t even legally live with me. My landlord terminated the first lease because my boyfriend’s name was on it.

Asked on August 5, 2011 Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No, your landlord cannot terminate your tenancy for the unit you are renting from him or her solely because of your boyfriend's past. He will soon be getting out of jail after having served his criminal sentence. His debt to society will be paid and he will recive his freedom from jail shortly.

For you to be penalized or discriminated because of your boyfriend's criminal history by your landlord is illegal. If your landlord attempts to evict you from your lease because of your boyfriend's past, you need to consult with a good landlord tenant attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, contact your local landlord tenant clinic to see if it can assist you.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption