What to do if my landlord is charging us $25 an hour to make necessary repairs to the apartment that we vacated?

UPDATED: Jan 26, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 26, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my landlord is charging us $25 an hour to make necessary repairs to the apartment that we vacated?

I know he (landlord) made the repairs themselves and didn’t hire an outside source. Also, I feel that they have embellished on the amount of time actually spent doing the repairs in the home. What are my options?

Asked on January 26, 2013 under Real Estate Law, West Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Good question. You need to ask for a fully itemized receipt for services rendered with respect to your former unit to be provided you where such services were provided by a third party and not your landlord. Unless you receive what is suggested, you have a legal basis for contesting any charges against you by the landlord in that most likely the landlord is doing the work and is gouging you on the charges at $25.00 per hour.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption